Sunday, 21 February 2010

Home[?]



Porcelain knotted handkerchief.



I've had all sorts of images, words, articles and so on buzzing around for a project exploring 'Home' a word which has increased in importance since moving away from 'Home.'

When I woke up this morning, some of the jigsaw pieces fell into place and I suddenly knew what to make out of the lump of porcelain sitting in my room.

This image only shows the front in progress, however I later went on to add a crease in the shape of Margate's Harbour arm and pushed various fabrics and objects into the porcelain to make a map, with textures suggesting waves, sand and roads.

The print on the hat represents the path I take to get home, mapping the road journey from the train station to my house. There is evidence of train tracks as well as other unrecognisable tracks which could be the bus, tube or walk which I also take. The beach and sea are evident because when I get off the train and wait for my Dad to pick me up I get to look out at the sea, the coloured doors on the harbour arm and smell the salty air. This moment is one component which creates my definition of 'Home'.

This is a personal piece, however it does not depend on this explanation to be enjoyed by others. The knotted handkerchief is a recognised icon for the beach, and encourages images of grandads on deckchairs. The map could be a pirate's treasure map, creating nostalgia for the viewer of childhood games or past visits to a beach. Both of which will consequently arouse sentiments of Home(s) past or present.



No comments:

Post a Comment